Michigan Medical Marijuana Laws
Marijuana use* misdemeanor 90 days $100
Any amount* misdemeanor 1 year $2,000
In a park* misdemeanor or felony 2 years $2,000
*Conditional discharge possible.
Less than 20 plants felony 4 years $20,000
20 to 200 plants felony 7 years $500,000
200 or more plants felony 15 years $10,000,000
Distribution without remuneration misdemeanor 1 year $1,000
Less than 5 kg felony 4 years $20,000
5 to 45 kg felony 7 years $500,000
45 kg or more felony 15 years $10,000,000
Miscellaneous (paraphernalia, license suspensions, drug tax stamps, etc...)
Paraphernalia sale** misdemeanor 90 days $5,000
**Preceded by cease and desist order, and if complied with, it is a complete defense to the charges.
Six month driver's license suspension upon conviction for marijuana charges.
The penalty for the use of marijuana is up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $100.
Possession of marijuana in any amount is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000, unless the possession occurred in a public or private park, which increases the penalty to a possible 2 years in prison.
Conditional discharge is available in all use and possession cases.
Distribution of marijuana without remuneration is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. For cultivation of less than 20 plants or sale of less than 5 kilograms, the punishment is up to four years in jail and a fine of up to $20,000. For cultivation of 20 or more plants or sale of 5 kilograms or more, the punishment is up to seven years in prison and a fine up to $500,000. Cultivation of 200 or more plants or sale of 45 kilograms or more is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000,000.
The sale of paraphernalia is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $5,000. The arrest for sale of paraphernalia is preceded by a cease and desist order, and if the order is complied with, it is a complete defense to the charges.
Ann Arbor: The penalty for being caught with marijuana is $25.00 USD for the first offense, $50.00 for the second and $100.00 for the third or subsequent offense (and no incarceration or probation). However, laws do not apply on university property i.e. the dorms; the university has a much more strict policy on possession and/or use.
Related News & Information
- Colorado Raids Linked to DOJ Memo Violations & Drug Gangs
- Grab Prohibition by the Horns at the Texas Regional NORML Conference June 7-9
- Federal Lawmakers to Vote on Industrial Hemp Amendment to Farm Bill
- Michigan: Medical Marijuana Act Trumps Per Se Driving Law
- Study: Cannabis Use Associated With Lower Mortality Risk In Patients With Psychotic Disorders
- Barry Obama Loved Marijuana President Obama Now Locks People Up For It
- Study: Non-Psychotropic Plant Cannabinoids Counteract Prostate Cancer Growth
- Goodbye NORML Network
- Reefer Madness in Obama's White House
- Stop State and Federal Charades: ElectTrue Leaders for Montana
- Reefer Madness
- White House 'Responds' To Marijuana Legalization Petitions
- San Francisco Pot Clubs Sue U.S. Department of Justice
- Marijuana: Half the Nation Believes It Should Be Legal
- Medical Marijuana Protest Draws 200 to Obama Fundraiser
- Capitol Alert: AM Alert: A San Francisco welcome for Obama
- Federal representatives explain marijuana raids
- Update: Northstone Organics owner discusses federal raid
- Marijuana Raid of Licensed Grower That Delivers to Los Angeles Area Has California Pot Advocates Worried About Federal Crackdown
- Rob Kampia: Obama: From First to Worst on Medical Marijuana
- Feds to target newspapers, radio for marijuana ads
- Calif. pot dispensaries told to shut down
- IRS ruling strikes fear in medical marijuana industry
- Prohibition: A parallel to modern war on drugs
- 4 Americans get pot from U.S. government
- Rand study finds less crime near pot dispensaries
- Whistle-blowers allege corruption, cartel ties
- Let It Grow - Medical Marijuana
- A Decade After 9/11, Police Departments Are Increasingly Militarized
- Feds want to ban medical pot references at trial
- Ground-Breaking Victory For the Common Man: First Circuit Court Rules Videotaping Cops Is Protected By First Amendment
- Medical pot, subsidized housing clash
- DEA Upholds Federal Marijuana Monopoly, Obstructing Privately-Funded FDA Research -- WASHINGTON, Aug. 24, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/
- REPEAL CANNABIS PROHIBITION Act of 2012 Initiative filed 8/19/11 in Sacramento
- There's Something to Be Said for States' Rights
- Department of Justice Tells AZ Governor Jan Brewer To Dismiss Medical Marijuana Lawsuit
- Medical marijuana: The Justice Department speaks – again
- Medi-Pot Most Often Consumed For Pain, Muscle Spasms, Study Says
- Could New York State Legalize Medical Marijuana? - The Measure
- Obama says he’s not willing to end the drug war
- 'Medical marijuana' a 'red herring' (OneNewsNow.com)
- Medical marijuana may help fibromyalgia pain
- Marijuana laws: DEA stance on Schedule I locks door to medical marijuana research
- Challenging the DEA's War on Medical Marijuana
- White House National Drug Control Strategy Report 2011: Read It & Weep!
- Because We Say So
- Marijuana Advocates Sue Feds After DEA Rejects Weed as Medicine
- GOP Congressman's Son, Cancer-Stricken Daughter Speak Out For Medical Pot
- Marijuana Extract Pills Coming to Market
- Medical marijuana: U.S. rules that marijuana has no accepted medical use
- DEA - Establishment of a New Drug Code Marihuana Extract
- Crackdown on medical marijuana ahead?
- ASA - Patients' Lawsuit Forces Federal Gov't to Answer 9-Year-Old Medical Marijuana Rescheduling Petition
- No one is outside federal marijuana laws, U.S. says
- Legal Drug Deaths and Marijuana Dangers
- Pot advocates hound Rep. Smith
- Medical Marijuana Memo - DOJ Cracks Down On Pot Shops
- Obama Admin Announces More Aggressive Attacks on Medical Marijuana - Seattle News
- Why Barney Frank and Ron Paul are wrong on drug legalization
- The Way Forward
- Medical pot providers face conspiracy charges
- 2 House members want to end federal ban on pot - Forbes.com
- Ron Paul Bill Would End Federal War on Marijuana - Conor Friedersdorf
- Tell Attorney General Eric Holder to Leave Medical Marijuana Up to States
- Cannabinoid Administration Delays Huntington’s Disease Progression In Animals — Time To Initiate Human Trials
- Marijuana Patients Hobson’s Choice: Work or Medicate?
- Stash for Mon Jun 13 2011
- Washington State Supreme Court Rules Against Medical Marijuana Patient’s Rights
- New Study Reports Change in Brain Receptors for Daily Users of Cannabis
- Utah AG “Tempted” to Use Medical Marijuana
- Oregon Medical Marijuana Dispensaries are Put on Notice
- Seniors' medical pot collective stirs up trouble
- Arizona Refuses to Accept Dispensary Applications
- Florida Welfare Recipients Must Have a Clean Drug Test to Qualify
- Obama/FEDs Cave to Patient Pressure on Safe Access!
- 40 years
- The Drug War Has Failed
- Once again FORMER world leaders endorse marijuana legalization
- Gary Johnson: ‘Marijuana Is a Lot Safer Than Alcohol’
- Poll: Eighty Five Percent Of Grandparents Favor Marijuana Legalization
- National Drug Intelligence Center fails intelligence test
- Support The Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2011
- Lawsuit Demands Feds Respond: Marijuana as a Schedule II Drug?
- Members Of Congress Introduce Multiple Medical Marijuana Reform Bills
- Arizona to sue to clarify medical marijuana act
- Willie Nelson Changes His Tune
- Willie Nelson’s Teapot Party Endorses Gary Johnson for President
Learn More About Federal Marijuana Laws
Learn About California's Marijuana Laws
Read About the Laws in Other States