Washington Medical Marijuana Laws
Less than 40 g misdemeanor* MMS 1 Day - maximum 90 days $250 - $500
40 g or more felony 5 years maximum $10,000
Sale or Cultivation
Less than 40 g felony 0 - 6 months $10,000
40 g or more felony 5 years maximum $10,000
Sale to minor at least 3 years younger than seller felony double penalty double penalty
Miscellaneous (paraphernalia, license suspensions, drug tax stamps, etc...)
Dirty paraphernalia possession, manufacture or delivery misdemeanor* 90 days $1,000
*Any convictions of a misdemeanor carry a 24-hour mandatory minimum sentence and a mandatory minimum fine of $250.
For subsequent convictions the possible prison sentence doubles.
Any conviction of a juvenile causes driver's license suspension for 1 year.
Possession of less than 40 grams is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine up to $1,000. For amounts of 40 grams or more the penalties increase to up to five years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
Cultivation, delivery or sale of marijuana is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. Any sale to a minor at least three years younger than the offender doubles the possible penalties.
It is an affirmative defense to violations of marijuana-related laws that the person, possessing no more than is necessary for personal medical use for up to sixty days, has valid documentation and meets all criteria as a qualifying patient or as a primary caregiver.
Possession, manufacture or delivery of paraphernalia is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine up to $1,000.
Any convictions of a misdemeanor carry a 24-hour mandatory minimum jail sentence and a mandatory minimum fine of $250.
For any subsequent convictions the possible prison sentence doubles.
For drug offense convictions of juveniles, the offender's driver's license is suspended for one year.
Related News & Information
- Study: Cannabis Use Associated With Lower Mortality Risk In Patients With Psychotic Disorders
- Barry Obama Loved Marijuana President Obama Now Locks People Up For It
- Study: Non-Psychotropic Plant Cannabinoids Counteract Prostate Cancer Growth
- Goodbye NORML Network
- Reefer Madness in Obama's White House
- Stop State and Federal Charades: ElectTrue Leaders for Montana
- Reefer Madness
- White House 'Responds' To Marijuana Legalization Petitions
- San Francisco Pot Clubs Sue U.S. Department of Justice
- Marijuana: Half the Nation Believes It Should Be Legal
- Medical Marijuana Protest Draws 200 to Obama Fundraiser
- Capitol Alert: AM Alert: A San Francisco welcome for Obama
- Federal representatives explain marijuana raids
- Update: Northstone Organics owner discusses federal raid
- Marijuana Raid of Licensed Grower That Delivers to Los Angeles Area Has California Pot Advocates Worried About Federal Crackdown
- Rob Kampia: Obama: From First to Worst on Medical Marijuana
- Feds to target newspapers, radio for marijuana ads
- Calif. pot dispensaries told to shut down
- IRS ruling strikes fear in medical marijuana industry
- Prohibition: A parallel to modern war on drugs
- 4 Americans get pot from U.S. government
- Rand study finds less crime near pot dispensaries
- Whistle-blowers allege corruption, cartel ties
- Let It Grow - Medical Marijuana
- A Decade After 9/11, Police Departments Are Increasingly Militarized
- Feds want to ban medical pot references at trial
- Ground-Breaking Victory For the Common Man: First Circuit Court Rules Videotaping Cops Is Protected By First Amendment
- Medical pot, subsidized housing clash
- DEA Upholds Federal Marijuana Monopoly, Obstructing Privately-Funded FDA Research -- WASHINGTON, Aug. 24, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/
- REPEAL CANNABIS PROHIBITION Act of 2012 Initiative filed 8/19/11 in Sacramento
- There's Something to Be Said for States' Rights
- Department of Justice Tells AZ Governor Jan Brewer To Dismiss Medical Marijuana Lawsuit
- Medical marijuana: The Justice Department speaks – again
- Medi-Pot Most Often Consumed For Pain, Muscle Spasms, Study Says
- Could New York State Legalize Medical Marijuana? - The Measure
- Obama says he’s not willing to end the drug war
- 'Medical marijuana' a 'red herring' (OneNewsNow.com)
- Medical marijuana may help fibromyalgia pain
- Marijuana laws: DEA stance on Schedule I locks door to medical marijuana research
- Challenging the DEA's War on Medical Marijuana
- White House National Drug Control Strategy Report 2011: Read It & Weep!
- Because We Say So
- Marijuana Advocates Sue Feds After DEA Rejects Weed as Medicine
- GOP Congressman's Son, Cancer-Stricken Daughter Speak Out For Medical Pot
- Marijuana Extract Pills Coming to Market
- Medical marijuana: U.S. rules that marijuana has no accepted medical use
- DEA - Establishment of a New Drug Code Marihuana Extract
- Crackdown on medical marijuana ahead?
- ASA - Patients' Lawsuit Forces Federal Gov't to Answer 9-Year-Old Medical Marijuana Rescheduling Petition
- No one is outside federal marijuana laws, U.S. says
- Legal Drug Deaths and Marijuana Dangers
- Pot advocates hound Rep. Smith
- Medical Marijuana Memo - DOJ Cracks Down On Pot Shops
- Obama Admin Announces More Aggressive Attacks on Medical Marijuana - Seattle News
- Why Barney Frank and Ron Paul are wrong on drug legalization
- The Way Forward
- Medical pot providers face conspiracy charges
- 2 House members want to end federal ban on pot - Forbes.com
- Ron Paul Bill Would End Federal War on Marijuana - Conor Friedersdorf
- Tell Attorney General Eric Holder to Leave Medical Marijuana Up to States
- Cannabinoid Administration Delays Huntington’s Disease Progression In Animals — Time To Initiate Human Trials
- Marijuana Patients Hobson’s Choice: Work or Medicate?
- Stash for Mon Jun 13 2011
- Washington State Supreme Court Rules Against Medical Marijuana Patient’s Rights
- New Study Reports Change in Brain Receptors for Daily Users of Cannabis
- Utah AG “Tempted” to Use Medical Marijuana
- Seniors' medical pot collective stirs up trouble
- Arizona Refuses to Accept Dispensary Applications
- Florida Welfare Recipients Must Have a Clean Drug Test to Qualify
- Oregon Medical Marijuana Dispensaries are Put on Notice
- Obama/FEDs Cave to Patient Pressure on Safe Access!
- 40 years
- The Drug War Has Failed
- Once again FORMER world leaders endorse marijuana legalization
- Gary Johnson: ‘Marijuana Is a Lot Safer Than Alcohol’
- National Drug Intelligence Center fails intelligence test
- Poll: Eighty Five Percent Of Grandparents Favor Marijuana Legalization
- Support The Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2011
- Lawsuit Demands Feds Respond: Marijuana as a Schedule II Drug?
- Members Of Congress Introduce Multiple Medical Marijuana Reform Bills
- Arizona to sue to clarify medical marijuana act
- Willie Nelson Changes His Tune
- Willie Nelson’s Teapot Party Endorses Gary Johnson for President
Learn More About Federal Marijuana Laws
Learn About California's Marijuana Laws
Read About the Laws in Other States